Last night, I changed the drinking water filter in our sink and used the first 5 liters of it to top off my tank thinking it was freshly filtered water. And even though I knew it was filter flush water, I figured if it was good enough to water plants with then it was good for my planted fish tank too. Apparently not. This morning, I found both of my fish dead. And some shrimp too. I don’t get it! People put carbon filter media in their aquarium filters too. Same basic principle of drinking water filters. How did my fish die?
I still have some tough survivor shrimp hanging about, chowing down on their dead brethren so at least there’s that. And the plants seem okay as well. I don’t know what’s in the water filter but now you know, animals should not drink new filter water. Especially small animals.
On a side note, I learned that some locations of Whole Foods or Mom’s Market will accept used water filters. Look up Preserve Gimme 5 for your nearest collection site.
I think I took how easy it was to maintain my fish tank for granted. I started to think they were indestructible because of how the shrimp and plants were flourishing. Invertebrates tend to be more sensitive to water quality. But they really handled my low tech, minimal intervention/work methods well. I didn’t really so much change the water as just used the tank water to water house plants and then top it off with regular untreated tap water. Chloramines and all. At most I would let the tap water sit for a week before using it, but not always. So they did well with infrequent water changes using untreated water. What’s kind of scary is, I put 5 liters of this Union Carbide water in a 100 liter tank. That’s only 5%. What am I drinking?!
On the plus side? If there is one 🙁 my cherry shrimp which are usually always hiding because of the fish are now always out and about. Their predators are gone and they feel safe. So I may just leave this a planted shrimp tank.