After my uninformed purchase of the Bourjois foundation which turned out to test on animals (and isn’t very good anyway), I started looking up more information on cruelty free beauty products. It turns out that a lot of cosmetics that carry that label aren’t necessarily so. If a company sells to the Chinese market, they’re required to test on animals. A brand that’s technically cruelty free could be owned by a parent company that tests on animals. So the list of truly cruelty free brands is actually pretty short. Which in a way simplifies things for me. Fewer options makes for easier decision-making.
Based on what I’ve found these are the ones I use or have used that I think are still truly cruelty free:
- 100% Pure (they sell to China but explain on their website how they do it without testing on animals). I like their products but they’re expensive.
- Rejuva Minerals – I like their loose powder foundation, which I use as a finishing powder or just by itself as a lighter foundation.
- Mineral Fusion – Only tried the lip tint and 3-in-1 Color Stick and like them both. The Color Stick is a natural looking blush for everyday.
- Andalou Naturals – Excellent BB and CC creams for everyday use. I love their 1000 Roses line.
- Pacifica – My only gripe about their stuff is the perfumes. It’s on the stronger side.
- Juice Beauty – Good but expensive.